An unusual nasty mix of a hurricane and a winter storm that forecasters are now calling “Frankenstorm” is predicted to blast the East Coast early next week, focusing the worst of its weather mayhem around New York City, New Jersey and Connecticut.
U.S. government forecasters on Thursday upped the odds of a major weather mess, now saying there’s a 90 percent chance that the East will get steady gale-force winds, heavy rain, flooding and maybe even snow starting Sunday and stretching past Halloween on Wednesday.
There’s still a chance we won’t be directly hit, but MAXONS urges you to take steps now to be prepared. What this means is that you should ensure you have at least the basic requirements. Below is a list of the supplies you should have prepared in a backpack or waterproof container in case you need to evacuate quickly:
Kits should include
- Water (one gallon, per person, per day)
- Non-perishable Food
- 7-day Supply of Medications
- List of Food and Drug Allergies (especially antibiotics)
- Sturdy Shoes
- Changes of Clothes
- Sanitation and Personal Hygiene Items
- Battery Powered or Hand Crank Radio
- Extra Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Multipurpose Tool
- Copies of Important Personal Documents
- Emergency Contact Card (be sure to include an out-of-town contact)
- Local Map
- Emergency Cash
- Photos of Family Members and Pets for Re-identification Purposes
- Extra Keys to Your House and Vehicle
- Plus Any Special Needs Items for Children, Seniors or People with Disabilities.
- Don’t Forget to Make a Kit for Your Pets.
We also recommend that you stock up to have at least two weeks worth of supplies on hand at home in case you are unable to leave for any reason.
All members of the household should work together on an emergency plan. Each person should know how to reach other members of the household. The plan should also include an out-of-area emergency contact person, and a location where everyone should meet if they can’t go home.
Should you suffer any storm damage or flooding to your property know that MAXONS is here to help with emergency services 24/7.
Stay safe and call us if you need us,