Holiday Cards Get A Second Chance

For the past few weeks we have been busy collecting all the used holiday cards we can get our hands on.   This afternoon will be mailing out a box full of them to St. Jude’s Ranch for Children.   The holidays may be over but these cards will definitely be back in someones mailbox next year.

For more information on the card recycling program or to purchase some of the cards for yourself go to


Safety Tips for Decking the Halls

Haul out the holly, string up the lights, and hang the stockings by the chimney (with care)! The holiday season is finally here, which means it’s time to deck the halls with all kinds of festive decorations.

Maxons wants to ensure your holidays are as merry and bright as possible, so before you adorn your mantle with garland and dangle mistletoe over your door, please read these holiday decorating safety tips.
Christmas trees: Trimming the tree is the main decorating event in many households, but the tree can become a fire hazard if it’s dried out. Remember to replenish the water in your tree stand on a daily basis, so that your tree remains healthy and hydrated for the duration of the holiday season.
Holiday foliage: Poinsettias, holly, Jerusalem cherries, and mistletoe are all toxic if ingested. If you have pets or small children in the house, avoid using these decorations or opt for the artificial versions.
Artificial snow: If you’re longing for a white Christmas, spraying windows with artificial snow can give your house a frosty glow – even if you live in a warm climate. However, spray-on snow can irritate your lungs, so make sure to follow the directions carefully and only use the spray in well-ventilated areas.
Fireplaces: Adorning the mantle with garlands, stockings, and other decorations is a holiday tradition in many households, but keep these trimmings clear of working fireplaces. You should also be careful when using fire salts, which produce colored flames, since they are highly toxic if ingested.
Lights: Before hanging lights indoors or outdoors, check the strings for cracked sockets, broken bulbs, or frayed/bare wires. Also, only use lights that are approved by a national testing lab, such as UL or ETL/ITSNA. Do not use electric lights on metallic trees because faulty lights can cause branches to become charged and possibly electrocute someone. If you’re using outdoor lights, make sure they are approved for that use and plugged into a ground-fault circuit interrupter device.
Candles: Flickering candlelight can give your home a cozy, warm glow, but candles cause more than 11,000 fires every year, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. If you’re using candles to decorate for the holidays, keep a close eye on them when they’re lit, and don’t leave the room without extinguishing the flames. Never put a lit candle on a tree.
Happy Holidays!

Have A Safe & Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a just a day away, across the country will be taking to the kitchen to whip up a feast.
Maxons wants to ensure everyone is taking every precaution to cook safely and prevent fires.

Cooking is the leading cause of home fires on Thanksgiving Day, and the risk of cooking-related fires remains elevated all through the holidays.  Stay alert when you’re in the kitchen and pay attention to what you’re cooking.

Maxons offers the following tips for safe holiday cooking:

  • Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food. If you must leave the room, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
  • Have a safety zone: keep children and pets three feet away from the stove and oven.
  • Never hold a child or pet while cooking.
  • Avoid wearing loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking.
  • Keep potholders, oven mitts, towels and anything flammable away from your stovetop.
  • Clean food and grease from burners and the stovetop.
  • If you must use a turkey fryer, keep it outside, away from buildings and other structures, such as garages, carports and decks and in view when it is on. The turkey should be thawed before frying. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Keep an ABC multi-purpose dry chemical fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water on a grease fire. Water can cause hot grease to splatter.
  • As always, have a working smoke alarm installed on every level of the home and in each bedroom or sleeping area. Each member of the household should know the home fire escape plan and practice it twice per year. Guests should be aware of the escape plan and the location of any fire extinguishers in case there is an emergency.


Be happy and stay safe, 

Maxons Restorations